As the conservative Spanish-language radio and television network Americano Media prepares for its debut at the NewFronts advertiser showcase this week, it’s crucial for advertisers to consider that the network has proven time and again that it is not a reliable or credible source of information. Americano is a purveyor of incendiary conspiracy theories and hate — and therefore, just as unsafe for brands as Fox News.
The right-wing Spanish-language network’s opinion shows are saturated with conspiracy theories claiming Satanists, woke ideologues, and the United Nations are planning to usher in a new world order. Conversations about so-called “globalist” entities and their supposed influence on American society are common on Americano’s programming and are used to peddle popular far-right narratives to Spanish speakers.
Following in Fox News’ footsteps, Americano Media’s radio hosts are also spreading the so-called “great replacement” conspiracy theory — also touted by white supremacists and multiple mass shooters, and elevated to mainstream discourse by right-wing icons like the recently-ousted Fox star Tucker Carlson. The theory claims that Democrats are intentionally promoting illegal immigration to replace white Americans and fill the U.S. with people who will vote for them.
With an infusion of $18 million from its first three investors, Americano Media expanded its organization by hiring contributors from the conservative digital media platform El American, as well as Catalina Stubbe – the National Director of Hispanic Outreach for the book banning crusader group Moms for Liberty. For months Stubbe has been a frequent guest on several of Americano’s radio shows where she would spread conspiracy theories and anti-LGBTQ talking points under the guise of parental rights advocacy. NewFronts is presenting an opportunity for Americano to take on a market share that could ensure the continued growth of the network and its plan of expanding to 25 radio stations, providing streaming content, developing a digital news website and app, and building studios to launch new television programs.
In Americano Media’s ambition to become Fox News for Spanish speakers, it has come to adopt Fox’s style of sensationalized and misinformative programming. This style of programming not only spread falsehoods and propaganda for the Republican Party at the expense of damaging American democracy, but ultimately landed Fox in two massive defamation lawsuits.
Misinformation and conspiracy theories on Americano Media’s radio shows
In March alone, Americano’s radio shows spread misinformative narratives about immigration, education, the Democratic Party, and the LGBTQ community.
- Jesús Márquez, host of Battleground Americano, claimed that “woke ideology” is violent and intolerant toward people who have free will and that the so-called “gender and trans ideology” is supported by the “deep state.” He went on to claim that the deep state is using the LGBTQ movement to push their agenda that sexualizes children and installs cancel culture. [Americano Media, Battleground Americano, 3/29/23]
- Entre Lineas host Freddy Silva warned of what he called the “progressive advance” of the Democratic Party and claimed that it had been “kidnapped” by a fringe leftist movement and “sold out to globalism.” He also claimed that the supposed “totalitarianism” of the progressive movement would lead to a “battle between globalists and patriots,” which includes fighting against Agenda 2030, the so-called “Great Reset,” and World Economic Forum. [Americano Media, Entre Lineas, 3/23/23]
- On Dania Alexandrino’s program Hablando de Frente, political commentator Erick Fajardo claimed that people who support gender affirming care are “part of the globalist ideology, the woke ideology that the elites have embraced.” [Americano Media, Hablando de Frente, 3/17/23]
- Alexandrino spouted great replacement talking points claiming that the Democrats’ “Machiavellian” plan is to let undocumented migrants into the country who will then have children that will vote for Democrats in the future. [Americano Media, Hablando de Frente, 3/22/23]
- Silva smeared “fugitives” and people coming into the U.S. through irregular methods as the ones who are introducing drugs and are tied to criminal organizations. [Americano Media, Entre Lineas, 3/31/23]
- Silva ranted about “communist and Marxist agents who have found themselves in positions in schools, universities” claiming that “the dangerous thing is allowing these ideas to continue to proliferate and filling each of these places up with Marxism, socialism, progressivism, however you want to call it.” He went on to claim that the United States will “not only end up infested with progressivism, socialism, Marxism” but will be supported by Venezuelans. “They come here and they vote for Joe Biden, they vote for Democrats, which is incomprehensible.” [Americano Media, Entre Lineas, 3/6/23]
- On Entre Lineas, Catalina Stubbe claimed that globalists are working to enact a “satanic” agenda, which conservatives must unite to stand against. “As you’ve already realized these socialist people, these globalists are doing something at the worldwide level. Of course, Agenda 2030, which to me is a satanic agenda, is what they’re doing. So clearly what’s going to happen is that us conservatives are going to unite and defend this planet.” [Americano Media, Entre Lineas, 3/7/23]