Americano Media is a conservative Spanish-language radio and television network based in Florida, hosting several radio shows on SiriusXM known for spreading lies and conspiracy theories about election integrity, so-called “groomers,” and globalist plots to indoctrinate children, fabricate climate change, and mandate vegetarianism. Continuing in this trend, hosts on the network have also spread a white nationalist conspiracy theory called “the great replacement,” which claims that immigrants are purposefully brought into the U.S. to saturate the electorate with people who will vote for Democrats.
The conspiracy theory is often invoked by white supremacists and neo-nazis who claim that elites are sending non-white immigrants into majority white countries in order commit “genocide” against white people and destroy western civilization. The theory’s dissemination across fringe platforms has proven deadly and has served as a catalyst for at least three terrorist attacks against minority communities — in Christchurch, New Zealand, El Paso, Texas, and Buffalo, New York.
Fox News’ Tucker Carlson elevated the deadly conspiracy theory from fringe online communities to mainstream discourse on his show with language about demographic changes and crime. Carlson has received praise from openly racist outlets and former leader of the Ku Klux Klan David Duke for injecting his audience with the xenophobic, racist, and antisemitic talking points that characterize the theory. Further, Carlson is calling for Republicans to run on the platform of replacement theory, which he referred to as the generational issue in the United States.
Similarly, the same version of the “great replacement” conspiracy theory is being propagated on conservative Spanish-language Americano Radio, as the rhetoric becomes more mainstream in the conservative movement. Hosts like Freddy Silva of Entre Líneas, Dania Alexandrino of Perspectiva USA and En Perspectiva, and Yali Nuñez of Entre Nosotras have spread fear around immigration and made dehumanizing remarks about children of migrants.
Below are examples from Americano Media broadcasts that use the “great replacement” conspiracy theory to push right-wing talking points.
Spreading the “great replacement” conspiracy theory
- On her show Perspectiva USA, host Dania Alexandrino said border crossings are intended to “substantially increase the amount of illegal immigrants … to double Democratic voters in 20 years.” She continued, “I have always told all of you that this chaos [at the border] is not incompetence. No, no, no, this chaos is intentional, because the Democratic Party is looking at the long-term, and I know this is something that my friends at Media Matters don’t like me to say, and the Democrats either — they tell me that this is disinformation. … I’ve learned that the Democratic Party doesn’t do anything without a Machiavellian goal in mind, because they are calculating, and they don’t do anything for the benefit of anyone.” [Perspectiva USA, 8/22/22]
- On the same day on her other show, En Perspectiva, Alexandrino added that Biden and the Democrats intentionally created the immigration crisis because “their Machiavellian plan” is to allow migrants to put down roots in the United States so that later their children “become Democratic voters.” [En Perspectiva, 8/22/22]
- Alexandrino also said in July that the administration allows “illegal crossings” to “change the face of voters” in the United States and favor the Democratic party. [Perspectiva USA, 7/18/22]
- Alexandrino also claimed in May that immigration at the southern border is “deliberate,” saying it “has nothing to do with ineptitude or incompetence. It has to do with deliberate intention, to deliberately change the electoral landscape from now to 18, 20 years from now.” She claimed, “It is malevolent, it is Machiavellian, and they have the patience to execute their evil plan. And this is what they seek: tip the balance toward the Democratic Party, so that the Republican Party can never win elections again. That is why they have the border wide open.” [En Perspectiva, 5/17/22]
- Freddy Silva, host of Entre Líneas, said that during the 2020 presidential election, the Democratic Party “extended an invitation for this [large] amount of people to come to the United States.” [Entre Lineas, 6/3/22]
- Genaro Pedroarias, a congressional liaison on the Republican National Hispanic Assembly, stated on host Yali Nunez’s show that the Biden administration is seeking to “change the country's culture.” He added that “leftists think these people who enter the country illegally will eventually have an amnesty, they will become citizens, they will be able to vote, and they will vote Democrat.” [Entre Nosotras, 8/24/22]