Right-wing Spanish media spuriously attack Trump indictment as “political persecution”
Spanish-language media personalities have claimed that Trump’s indictment is an abuse of power, said that it will interfere with the presidential elections, and called it “communist-level shit”
Spanish-language conservative media are claiming former President Donald Trump’s indictment by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg is a corrupt act of political persecution.
On Thursday, March 30, it was reported that a Manhattan grand jury had voted to indict Trump for more than 30 charges related to his role in paying hush money to porn actor Stormy Daniels. As of publication, the indictment is under seal and further details and proceedings, including Trump’s surrender, are expected in the coming days. Both English and Spanish language right-wing media have taken to their respective platforms to cast the indictment as corrupt and politically motivated.
The narratives highlighted below include attacks against Bragg for leading the investigation, echoes of Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele’s claims that the indictment undermines American democracy, and allegations that the indictment amounts to unlawful interference in the 2024 presidential election.
Claims that the indictment is an act of political persecution
Like others in right-wing media, Spanish-language conservative pundits and outlets have spread claims that Trump’s indictment was an act of political persecution.
- News account By Viral 24 (59,800 followers) shared Bukele’s claims that Trump’s indictment was an act of “political persecution.” [Twitter, 3/30/23]
- Conservative author James Nava: “Accusing Trump with fake news for 7 years is not just a politically motivated attack against the man, which it is, but also an assault against our Democracy.” [Twitter, 3/31/23]
- Americano Media’s Dania Alexandrino shared Trump’s and DeSantis’ statements in response to the indictment and claimed “the leftist Alvin Bragg” filed charges against a former president “for the first time in history” with “a convict and a prostitute as witnesses.” [Facebook, 3/30/23]
Comparisons to communist regimes
Spanish-language misinformers also spread Donald Trump Jr.’s claims that the indictment is “communist-level shit.”
- Americano Media (70,000 followers), Emmanuel Rincon (209,7000 followers), and popular misinformative YouTuber Eduardo Menoni (104,000 followers) shared a translation of Donald Trump Jr.’s claims that “this is communist-level shit” that “would make Mao [and] Stalin blush.” [Twitter, 3/30/23, 3/31/23, 3/30/23]
- Popular conservative news account AlbertoRodNews (602,600 followers) also shared the clip from the Triggered with Donald Trump Jr. show, with a caption translating the host’s invocation of communism. [Twitter, 3/30/23]
Claims of election interference against Trump
Conservative media are also attempting to spin Trump’s indictment as a political ploy by Democrats designed to sabotage his Make America Great Again movement and his prospects for a presidential run in 2024.
- Conservative outlet El Republican shared Bukele’s claims that “it’ll be very difficult for U.S. [foreign policy] to use arguments about ‘democracy’ and ‘free and fair elections.’” [Twitter, 3/30/23]
- Right-wing account Filosoraptor (15M followers) posted a status claiming Trump was indicted because “they don’t want him to get to the presidency.” [Facebook, 3/30/23]
- El Republican shared a translation of House Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s (R-CA) claims that “Alvin Bragg has irreparably damaged our country” and “interfered in a presidential election.” [Twitter, 3/30/23]
Blaming George Soros or the Democratic party for conspiring against Trump
Similar to Fox News, which has invoked philanthropist George Soros at least 41 times in less than 24 hours, Spanish-language media suggested that Soros and a corrupt legal system were behind Trump's indictment.
- Franklin Graham’s official Spanish-language page (2.6M followers) shared a post claiming, “Democrats weaponized a legal system that only benefits themselves,” adding, “It's an embarrassing day for the United States.” [Facebook, 3/31/23]
- Esteban Rafael, a right-wing Twitter personality, tweeted that Trump’s indictment by a “Soros appointed” district attorney is paving the way for “tyranny” and compared the U.S. derogatorily to Nicaragua. [Twitter, 3/30/23]
- Miguel Diaz, a right-wing conspiracy theorist and streamer with over 8,000 followers on Telegram, uploaded a video to YouTube where he pushes claims about Soros being behind Trump’s indictment. [YouTube, 3/31/23]