After X (formerly Twitter) leader Elon Musk endorsed an antisemitic conspiracy theory on his platform, some right-wing media figures defended Musk and downplayed the severity of his actions.
Elon Musk endorsed the far-right antisemitic great replacement theory. Far-right figures praised him for it.
- An X premium user attacked Jewish communities for pushing “hatred against whites” and supporting “hordes of minorities” coming to the country. This same conspiracy theory inspired the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter who blamed Jewish Americans “for bringing in an invasion of nonwhite immigrants.” [Media Matters, 11/15/23]
- Musk endorsed the antisemitic post, replying, “You have said the actual truth.” Musk ultimately walked back his endorsement of the conspiracy theory, arguing he had been referring to the Anti-Defamation League and not all Jewish people. [Media Matters, 11/16/23]
- After Media Matters found major brands’ advertisements next to antisemitic posts by X users, IBM pulled its ads from the platform. [Media Matters, 11/16/23]
- Far-right figures and white nationalists praised Musk’s antisemitism. Far-right personalities like white nationalist and Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes, “Stop the Steal” organizer Ali Alexander, InfoWars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, and other extremists lauded Musk for helping spread white nationalist and antisemitic ideas. [Media Matters, 11/16/23]
Some prominent right-wing personalities have also come to Musk’s defense
- Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk defended Musk, adding, “Some of the largest financiers of left-wing anti-white causes have been Jewish Americans.” Kirk has repeatedly turned to antisemitic tropes since the beginning of the Israel-Hamas war, blaming the spread of “cultural Marxist ideas” on so-called “Jewish dollars.” [Salem Media Group, The Charlie Kirk Show, 11/16/23; Media Matters, 11/8/23]
- The Daily Wire’s Ben Shapiro downplayed Musk’s comment, saying the X leader made a Twitter “boo boo.” Shapiro added, “A lot of the very same people who are pushing DEI, intersectional politics are now realizing the wages of that.” [The Daily Wire, The Ben Shapiro Show, 11/16/23]
- Newsmax host Rob Schmitt defended Musk by saying that “left-wing Jewish” organizations have fostered antisemitism by “guilting whites.” Schmitt added, “It does seem that the DEI monster that these left-wing organizations, left-wing Jewish organizations helped create, are now their primary threat.” [Newsmax, Rob Schmitt Tonight, 11/16/23]
- Timcast IRL editor Cassandra McDonald praised Musk, posting, “I'm still pleased that Elon Musk has continued shitting on the ADL.” She added, “Makes me want to buy a tesla.” [Twitter/X, 11/16/23]
- Misogynist Mike Cernovich claimed Musk’s comment was taken out of context, before implying Democrats are antisemites. He wrote, “Like clockwork the attention turned to Elon for replying to a larger conversation and not contextualizing as it was obvious what his point was. Anything to ignore Hamas inside CNN’s tent. There’s violence happening, but that would be blamed on Democrats. Change the discussion.” [Twitter/X, 11/15/23]
- Right-wing internet personality Ian Miles Cheong claimed all Musk did was have “the audacity to criticize progressive Jewish organizations for their anti-white policies.” He then claimed critics are “completely silent about actual anti-Semitic politicians and groups.” [Twitter/X, 11/16/23]