The latest release of documents in the Dominion Voting Systems’ defamation lawsuit against Fox News has revealed that host Tucker Carlson privately attacked former President Donald Trump as a destructive force and derided former Trump lawyer Sidney Powell as “crazy” for pushing false election fraud theories.
These documents contain text and email conversations between Carlson and other Fox News employees, which show how the host truly felt about the lies he and others were giving credence to on the network.
Despite attacking Trump’s critics on the air the day of President Joe Biden’s inauguration, Carlson told an unknown party that Trump not showing up to the inauguration was “so destructive.” During the attempted insurrection on January 6, Carlson told a Fox News producer that Trump was a “demonic force.” Here are a few examples from the latest set of documents, showing Carlson’s opinion of Trump and some of his allies, his own colleagues at Fox, and evidence of voter fraud.
- On January 4, 2021, two days before the Capitol riot, Carlson lamented in a text exchange with an unknown person, “We’re all pretending we’ve got a lot to show for it [the last four years], because admitting what a disaster it’s been is too tough to digest. But come on. There isn’t really an upside to Trump.”
- Also on January 4, 2021, Carlson texted an unknown person, “We are very, very close to being able to ignore Trump most nights,” adding later, “I hate him passionately.”
- Responding to a text on November 13, 2020, from an unknown person bemoaning the damage Trump was doing the Republican Party by not conceding, Carlson added, “He’s only good at destroying.”
- Following the news that Trump would not attend Biden’s inauguration, Carlson slammed Trump’s behavior on November 11, 2020, as “destructive” and “disgusting,” adding, “I’m trying to look away.”
- After receiving a text celebrating the November 16, 2020, edition of Tucker Carlson Tonight, Carlson responded, “Sidney Powell is lying. Fucking bitch.”
- In a November 16, 2020, exchange with fellow Fox host Laura Ingraham, Carlson stated that Powell was “making everyone paranoid and crazy, including me.” Ingraham, in the same conversation, had called Powell “a bit nuts.” Carlson also declared that “ Powell is lying,” and Ingraham responded that Powell is a “complete nut” and that “no one will work with her,” adding, “Ditto with Rudy [Giuliani].”
- In a November 17, 2020, text conversation with Powell, Carlson told her directly that if she did not have evidence of election fraud at a massive scale, her repeated claims that millions of votes were changed by voting machines were “cruel and reckless.”
- Responding to a November 22, 2020, email from Neil Patel, The Daily Caller co-founder, inquiring about Powell getting fired from Trump’s legal team, Carlson suggested he was responsible for her firing, writing: “I’ve got a high tolerance for crazy as you know but she was too much.”
- In a November 16, 2020, conversation with Ingraham and Fox News host Sean Hannity, Carlson lambasted Fox and claimed that he, Hannity, and Ingraham had “devoted our lives to building an audience and they let Chris Wallace and Leland fucking Vittert wreck it.” At the time, Wallace was a Fox host and Leland was a Fox reporter. Hannity agreed, stating that he was “disgusted.”