Fox News has claimed that it “does not condone any talent participating in campaign events” and has reportedly “addressed the issue with its contributors and hosts.” But Fox News contributor Jason Chaffetz doesn’t appear to have gotten the memo: The former Republican congressman has headlined at least 19 fundraisers while working for the network and is scheduled to do at least two more.
Chaffetz joined Fox News on July 1, 2017, after retiring from Congress. He is a frequent presence on the network’s “news” and opinion programs and has guest hosted shows such as Hannity and The Ingraham Angle. He’s also the author of Power Grab and The Deep State.
Media Matters has documented numerous examples of network figures doing GOP-aligned events and The Washington Post recently reported that Fox personalities “continue to stump for GOP candidates.” The publication added that a Fox “spokeswoman said the network has addressed the issue with its contributors and hosts,” and “network executives have intervened to cancel a long string of fundraising appearances that were to have featured Fox News figures, according to people at Fox, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe its internal operations.”
Since joining Fox News, Chaffetz has headlined at least 19 Republican fundraisers. While campaign finance reports for all of those events aren't publicly available, Media Matters found that Chaffetz received speaking fees in several instances through Premiere Speakers Bureau. (Fellow Fox News personalities Tucker Carlson, Lou Dobbs, Greg Gutfeld, Sean Hannity, Pete Hegseth, Laura Ingraham, and Jeanine Pirro have received more than $500,000 combined in speaking fees from Republican groups while working at the network.)
He is scheduled to do a December 13 fundraiser in North Carolina for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Republican Women committee and a February 12 fundraiser for the Sangamon County Republican Central Committee in Illinois. A flyer for the Sangamon event calls Chaffetz a “Fox News Headliner.”
Here’s a list of those 19 events and the related speakers fees, when available:
- Gallatin and Madison County Republican Central Committees in Montana on October 14, 2017.
- San Jacinto County Republican Party in Texas on February 17, 2018. Chaffetz received a $10,000 speaking fee.
- Ingham and Eaton County Republican Party in Michigan on May 22, 2018.
- Spokane County Republican Party in Washington state on June 2, 2018. Fox News contributor Deneen Borelli also appeared as a special guest. The party sent Premiere Speakers Bureau a total of $15,000 (it wasn't immediately clear if the payments were just for Chaffetz or also for Borelli, who is also represented by Premiere).
- Jackson County Republican Party in Michigan on June 15, 2018.
- Modesto Republican Women Federated in California on August 3, 2018.
- Rep. Lee Zeldin for Congress in New York on August 6, 2018.
- Republican Party of Story County in Iowa on September 26, 2018.
- Aliso Viejo and San Clemente Area Republican Women Federated in California on October 19, 2018.
- San Bernardino County Federation of Republican Women in California on October 20, 2018.
- Weber County Republican Party in Utah on March 23, 2019.
- Hamilton County Republican Party in Tennessee on April 26, 2019.
- Yakima County Republican Party in Washington state on May 4, 2019. Chaffetz received an $18,000 speaking fee.
- Rep. Cynthia Lummis for Senate in Wyoming on October 4, 2019.
- Saginaw County Republican Party in Michigan on November 4, 2019.
- Clinton County Republican Party in Michigan on November 5, 2019.
- Bay County Republican Party in Michigan on November 5, 2019.
- Republican Party of Kalamazoo County in Michigan on November 6, 2019.
- New Hampshire Republican Party on November 13, 2019. A flyer for the event identified Chaffetz as a “Fox News host.”