Skip to main content
  • Online media
  • Tariffs
  • Epstein
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • RSS
  • Take Action
  • Search
  • Donate

Media Matters for America

  • News & Analysis
  • Research & Studies
  • Audio & Video
  • Archives

Media Matters for America

  • Nav
  • Search
  • News & Analysis
  • Research & Studies
  • Audio & Video
  • Archives
  • Online media
  • Tariffs
  • Epstein
  • Take Action
  • Search
  • Donate
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • RSS
sweaty-fox-3.png

Melissa Joskow / Media Matters

Blackout: Fox News is ignoring a newly revealed memo that shows the Trump campaign knew its election claims were false

Written by John Whitehouse

Research contributions from Rob Savillo & Media Matters Staff

Published 09/22/21 11:10 AM EDT

In the early afternoon of September 21, The New York Times reported on a Trump campaign memo from November 14, 2020, that debunked allegations concerning election services providers Dominion Voting Systems and Smartmatic that would continue to be pushed by then-Trump campaign lawyer Sidney Powell.

Nearly 24 hours later, Fox News has still not mentioned the report or the memo on air – even though the memo debunked specific claims that had been made on Fox News previously.

The Times report explained:

Even though the memo was hastily assembled, it rebutted a series of allegations that Ms. Powell and others were making in public. It found:

  • That Dominion did not use voting technology from the software company, Smartmatic, in the 2020 election.
  • That Dominion had no direct ties to Venezuela or to Mr. Soros.
  • And that there was no evidence that Dominion’s leadership had connections to left-wing “antifa” activists, as Ms. Powell and others had claimed.

As [former Dominion employee Eric] Coomer’s lawyers wrote in their motion in the defamation suit, “The memo produced by the Trump campaign shows that, at least internally, the Trump campaign found there was no evidence to support the conspiracy theories regarding Dominion” and Mr. Coomer.

You can read the whole memo here.

It is not hard to imagine why Fox News would be uncomfortable discussing this campaign memo. As Media Matters has meticulously documented, Fox News itself aired all of these Dominion conspiracy theories (and more) – many times well after the date of the memo; the network is currently being sued by both Dominion and Smartmatic.

If even the Trump campaign was able to do basic research showing that these claims were false, then clearly Fox News could have as well.

Instead, Fox News anchor Bill Hemmer on November 16 called the conspiracy theories “convincing.” And other Fox News figures followed suit.

Of course, this wouldn’t be the first time the network knowingly aired false claims for partisan purposes.

This has been updated.

The Latest

  1. Ben Shapiro: “It's kind of shocking to me that Bannon basically was doing PR rehab on Jeffrey Epstein and continues to go out there and be one of the main progenitors of the sort of Epstein scandal”

    Video & Audio 02/02/26 12:53 PM EST

  2. All-In host Jason Calacanis criticizes Trump for surrounding “himself with very inexperienced sycophants” based on “loyalty to him”

    Video & Audio 02/02/26 11:44 AM EST

  3. Cada Tarde host: “I don't have the least bit of doubt” that Stephen Miller would deport Marco Rubio and shut down Spanish radio networks “if he could”

    Video & Audio 02/02/26 11:30 AM EST

  4. Tim Dillon decries Trump's “performative” ICE raids, says administration is “unserious and cruel”

    Video & Audio 02/02/26 10:48 AM EST

  5. Fox News legal analyst says Don Lemon should have been charged with a hate crime against white people

    Video & Audio 01/30/26 6:40 PM EST

Pagination

  • Previous page ‹‹
  • …
  • Current page 24
  • …
  • Next page ››

In This Article

  • Fox News

    Fox-News-MMFA-Tag.png
  • Donald Trump

    Donald-Trump-MMFA-Tag.png
  • Sidney Powell

    Sidney Powell
  • Voter Fraud and Suppression

    Voter Suppression
  • January 6 Insurrection

    jan 6

Related

  1. Newsmax host calls out Fox News for not covering the Epstein story

    Video & Audio 02/18/26 9:02 AM EST

  2. Podcaster Shawn Ryan reacts to Attorney General Pam Bondi's testimony: “You're going to protect pedophiles" and hope "everybody's happy that the Dow hit 50,000.”

    Video & Audio 02/17/26 12:39 PM EST

  3. Fox cheers Trump’s repeal of the EPA endangerment finding — a move that could cost thousands of lives and billions of dollars in health care costs

    Research/Study 02/13/26 3:06 PM EST

Media Matters for America

Sign Up for Email Updates
  • About
  • Contact
  • Corrections
  • Submissions
  • Jobs
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • RSS

© 2026 Media Matters for America

RSS