CNN highlights US support for Saudi Arabia's assault on Yemen, which could result in "an entire generation being wiped out"

CNN highlights US support for Saudi Arabia's assault on Yemen, which could result in "an entire generation being wiped out"

Nima Elbagir: Even after Saudi Arabia admitted to killing civilians, "the U.S. declined to say that Saudis were not doing enough to stop civilian deaths, and they certified and continued with the arms deals"

Video ››› ››› MEDIA MATTERS STAFF

From the October 16 edition of CNN Newsroom with Poppy Harlow and Jim Sciutto:

Loading the player reg...

JIM SCIUTTO (CO-HOST): In the wake of the [Jamal] Khashoggi disappearance, you had a lot of unity from Middle Eastern leaders expressing solidarity with the Saudis. How about in response to the threat of famine? Is anyone in the region calling them out? 

NIMA ELBAGIR (CNN SENIOR INTERNATIONAL CORRESPONDENT): So far, the silence has been pretty deafening, Jim. And that's even as the United Nations say that they are scrambling to pull together the emergency assistance they require. And it's not just leaders in the region who have been silent on this. We're yet to hear from the U.S. The U.K. has broken ranks with the rest of the European Union and pledged from their international development fund, but the U.S. so far has said nothing, and we know that the Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, is in the region as we speak. When we spoke to the U.N. after we put together this piece, we spoke to them again and they said that in fact they think those estimates of 12 million might be conservative, Jim and Poppy. That actually, potentially, they're looking at millions more, 5 million of which will be children. They're looking at essentially an entire generation being wiped out by this famine. 

POPPY HARLOW (CO-HOST): An entire generation. Nima, before you go, remind our viewers what the U.S. declined to do when it was found through your reporting that U.S. weapons manufacturers were tied to these air strikes that killed Yemeni children. 

ELBAGIR: Even in the face of Saudi Arabia itself saying that they think, based off our reporting, that they did cause civilian deaths, the U.S. declined to say that Saudis were not doing enough to stop civilian deaths, and they certified and continued with the arms deals. And we see what continues to happen in Yemen, Poppy. 

Related

CNN: Twelve million face famine in Yemen if bombs don't stop, WFP warns

Previously

Media fall for Trump’s shameless act regarding failed Yemen raid

Fox gave Benghazi more than 10 times as much coverage as Trump’s botched Yemen raid

Fox News military analyst blames "primitive" Yemeni rebels for dragging U.S. toward war with Iran

Posted In
The Presidency & White House, National Security & Foreign Policy, International Conflicts
Network/Outlet
CNN
Show/Publication
CNN Newsroom
We've changed our commenting system to Disqus.
Instructions for signing up and claiming your comment history are located here.
Updated rules for commenting are here.