Media Matters weekly newsletter, February 20

Welcome back to Media Matters’ weekly newsletter. This week:

  • Fox News has largely ignored the Epstein story.
  • Sean Hannity is demanding military action against Iran to obliterate the nation’s nuclear program, which he had previously declared dead.
  • Paramount is mangling CBS — and CNN may be next.
  • This morning, the Supreme Court struck down many of President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs. Dozens of Fox figures had cheered for the tariffs when Trump announced them. Close Trump ally Benny Johnson reacted: “The US Supreme Court has ruled against President Trump on tariffs. That's not good. This is a big no no. ... Yikes.”

If you want this delivered straight to your inbox, subscribe here.

  • This week in stupid

    An image of Jesse Watters eating a whole chicken
    • MAGA “prophet” Julie Green delivered “prophetic word” about martial law and the 2026 midterms, saying, “My children, I have warned you of martial law. This must take place to overthrow those who are in political seats that don’t belong, not just federal seats, but state seats as well. … Your military will see to it new elections will take place."
    • A TPUSA spokesperson linked diversity efforts in Washington, D.C., utilities management with the sewage leak into the Potomac River: “White men created Western civilization."
  • Compared to other cable channels, Fox News is hiding the latest Epstein revelations from their audience

    This week, Newsmax host Rob Finnerty called out Fox News for not covering the Jeffrey Epstein story. And it seems like Finnerty may be on to something. If you’re exclusively watching Fox News, you might not know that the growing fallout from the latest batch of released files about Epstein is one of the biggest stories in America.

    We found that in a multi-week period following the Department of Justice’s release of the Epstein documents, Fox News only mentioned “Epstein” 239 times. In the same period, MS Now and CNN mentioned “Epstein” 3,321 and 2,304 times, respectively. Newsmax, for its part, mentioned Epstein 1,464 times during the time period we looked at — over 1,000 more times than Fox.

    Bar chart shows cable news mentions of "Epstein" from Jan 30 through Feb 17, 2026. MSNOW has the most at 3321, CNN has 2304, Newsmax has 1464, and Fox News has the least at 239.

    The latest documents shed more light on the relationships between Epstein and various figures associated with the MAGA world, including Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick and President Donald Trump himself. One other figure implicated is former Trump aide Steve Bannon. We’ve been covering the blowback Bannon is receiving in MAGA media — which has been intense. Now, Bannon is getting blowback from his own audience, which is demanding answers from him. One Rumble user wrote, “I'm still a fan, but Steve MUST address this Epstein fire. You know that in politics you have to get in front of it. Hiding, stonewalling makes it worse every time.”

    As the fallout from the Epstein documents continues to rattle the nation, Fox is plugging its ears and trying to pretend nothing is happening. We’ll see how long they can keep it up.

  • This week's infighting

    • Podcaster Shawn Ryan reacted to Attorney General Pam Bondi’s congressional testimony, saying, “You’re going to protect pedophiles.” Fellow podcaster Tim Dillon said Bondi is “in over her head.” 
    • Alex Jones attacked Dan Bongino as “mentally ill, in a power trip” and a “drama queen destroying himself.” 
    • Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes told his audience, “Do not vote in the midterms. The Republicans have to lose.”
  • Sean Hannity is demanding regime change in Iran to stop the country’s nuclear program…which Hannity previously claimed Trump had “obliterated”

    Donald Trump has assembled a massive military force in the Middle East, the largest accumulation of airpower in the region since the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Trump’s military escalation is for a potential “massive, weeks-long campaign” against Iran, even though the president has not settled on what the U.S. aims would be for an attack, and certainly hasn’t bothered to make a case for one to the Congress or the American people. 

    Fox News host Sean Hannity, however, is making that case for him, justifying U.S. military strikes to force regime change in Iran because its leaders refuse “to give up their nuclear program.” It’s an odd justification since Hannity said last year, following a U.S. strike against Iranian nuclear facilities, that Iran’s “nuclear ambitions" were “officially dead.” 

    Hannity is a longtime proponent of U.S. attacks on Iran and a shameless Trumpist lickspittle, so he’s already on board with Trump’s military escalation. He opened his show on Wednesday night by declaring that “the clock is now ticking for the mullahs of Iran as the U.S. now continues their historic military buildup in the region.” Later in the show, Hannity posited that U.S. strikes were justified by Iran’s nuclear program

    Rewind back to June 21, 2025, shortly after Trump announced that the U.S. military had unilaterally struck three Iranian nuclear sites. Hannity went on Fox and said that he had spoken with the president and, based on what he had heard, declared that the attack had completely destroyed Iran’s nuclear program. 

    Eight months later, Hannity is telling his audience that the existence of Iran’s nuclear program justifies U.S. military strikes on the country. The throughline is Hannity’s ongoing support for bombing Middle Eastern countries — and his apparent willingness to go along with whatever the president says.

  • Excuse me?

    • Right-wing media figures are attacking U.S. Olympic athletes for speaking out against the Trump administration. 
    • Right-wing media has been pushing the Trump administration to ignore judicial orders — new reporting shows that’s precisely what the administration is doing. 
    • Benny Johnson reacted to Rep. Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez’s remarks in Munich by saying, “They want white people to be subservient slaves to them. Wouldn’t be the first time there was mass white slavery.”
  • Paramount is mangling CBS — and CNN may be next

    David Ellison

    Citation

    Andrea Austria / Media Matters; Ellison image via CNBC screenshot

    On Tuesday, Warner Bros. Discovery, the parent company of CNN, announced that it was reopening deal talks with Paramount. This marks the latest example of Trump’s corrupt effort to quell dissent by pushing media companies into the hands of his supporters. 

    In December, Warner Bros. agreed to sell its movie and streaming assets to Netflix and spin off its cable networks, including CNN, into a new entity. But Paramount, owned by David Ellison (the son of megabillionaire Trump ally Larry Ellison) is mounting a hostile bid to take over the entire company. Trump, who has spent the last decade waging war on the free press, could help ensure that Netflix’s deal for Warner Bros. faces a gauntlet of federal antitrust regulators while a Paramount deal could sail through. 

    The Ellison takeover of Paramount subsidiary CBS demonstrates proof of concept for what CNN could look like under Paramount’s auspices. Network employees have repeatedly warned in recent weeks that CBS is coming under the Trump administration’s thumb. For those who appreciate the free press, these are worrisome signs that media independence is crumbling under Trump. To those within the administration, however, these warnings likely function as signals that the Ellisons are willing to carry out the president’s agenda - and that if Trump likes what the Ellisons are doing at CBS, he should help them buy Warner Bros. so they can do the same to CNN. 

    Media Matters’ Matt Gertz goes into much more detail about this. I invite you to read his piece here.