The National Republican Congressional Committee, which is tasked with winning back the House for the GOP in 2022, has sent at least 18 fundraising emails so far this year that have featured Fox News. Those emails have asked readers to vote for “the best Fox News host”; promoted Fox News’ interviews with former President Donald Trump; and touted Republican-friendly articles by Fox News.
In one email from April 30, the NRCC used the subject line “Open this if you love Tucker Carlson” and wrote in the body, in part: “Tucker Carlson was recently named the most watched host in cable news. But our records showed you are not a Tucker Carlson watcher, and we knew this couldn’t be true. So if this is an error, please fill out the form below, and we will make sure your information is updated and accurate.” (After you fill out the form with your email address and telephone number, you are directed to a donation page.)
The NRCC’s strategy to integrate Fox News into its fundraising appeals comes as Fox News has increasingly centered itself around its Republican-aligned opinion hosts and decimated its purported “news”-side operations.
It’s also yet another example of how Fox News and the Republican Party are intertwined. The network has promoted Republican lies and propaganda; served as an audition space for Republican officeholders who aspire for higher office; and employed hosts and contributors who participate in GOP fundraisers. Fox News host Sean Hannity also partnered with the Republican National Committee to sell his book for the partisan organization and had his name attached to an RNC email last year.
Media Matters searched a Gmail account that only subscribes to right-wing email lists, including the NRCC’s, and found at least 18 different fundraising emails the House GOP group sent in 2021 that attempt to get readers’ attention by using Fox News. Those emails include the following copy:
- “Rep. Ilhan Omar accuses Israel of 'terrorism' amid clash with Hamas - FOX NEWS.”
- “BREAKING: Trump launches new communications platform months after Twitter, Facebook ban -FOX NEWS.”
- “Who is the best Fox News host?!”
- “‘Donald Trump promises supporters will be ‘very happy’ when he makes 2024 announcement’ - FOX NEWS.”
- “‘Fox News dominates MSNBC, CNN during April as ‘Tucker Carlson Tonight’ is most-watched cable news show’ - FOX NEWS. Tucker Carlson was recently named the most watched host in cable news. But our records showed you are not a Tucker Carlson watcher, and we knew this couldn’t be true. So if this is an error, please fill out the form below, and we will make sure your information is updated and accurate. Do you watch Tucker Carlson on FOX?”
- “THIS JUST IN: Democratic House member Ron Kind has ‘made thousands of dollars by renting a property to a massage parlor that advertised on websites that list spas where people can pay for sex’ -Fox News.”
- “BREAKING: Maxine Waters encourages protesters to 'get more confrontational' - FOX NEWS.” (See here for more on Fox News’ dishonest coverage of Waters’ comments.)
- “‘Trump tells 'Hannity' he's 'very seriously' considering 2024 run’ - FOX NEWS.”
- “President Trump has teased if he will run in 2024 for a while now. But the other night on Fox News, he said he’d base his decision off of one thing: Can Republicans take back the House?”
- “BREAKING: Trump interviewed on Fox News!”
- “Did you see President Trump’s absolute takedown of Joe Biden on Fox News this morning?”
- “If you watched President Trump this morning on Fox News, he agreed that illegal immigrants flooding into our country will put our nation at INCREDIBLE risk.”
- “FOX NEWS: Ilhan Omar leads Democrats in demanding Biden end ICE contracts with state, local jails.”
- “Fellow Conservative, did you watch Donald Trump demolish President Biden’s border policies last night on Fox News?”
- “BREAKING: Trump will be interviewed at 7 pm tonight on Fox News!”
- “Did you see Mike Pompeo speak on Fox News the other day? He sent you an email about it, and frankly, we wish more Conservatives would stand up to the Democrats for the massive break China gets under their policies.”
- A message from Pompeo: “Not too long ago, I spoke on Fox News condemning President Biden’s comment that ‘America is back’ in the world.” (The email, which was sent in February, also contains a screenshot of the former Trump secretary of state speaking on Fox News with network contributor and former Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC); Pompeo joined Fox News in April.)
- “Fox News: White House says Biden backs citizenship for 11 million illegal immigrants, ahead of bill unveiling.”