Following the latest revelations and allegations of sexual misconduct involving Fox News host Bill O’Reilly, Mercedes-Benz announced that they would no longer be advertising during The O’Reilly Factor time slot.
On April 1, The New York Times reported that five women received payments totaling nearly $13 million from either O’Reilly or Fox News’ parent company 21st Century Fox “in exchange for agreeing to not pursue litigation or speak about their” allegations of sexual harassment involving O’Reilly. The allegations include “verbal abuse, lewd comments, unwanted advances and phone calls in which it sounded as if Mr. O’Reilly was masturbating.”
Mercedes-Benz called the most recent allegations, “disturbing” and in a statement given to CNNMoney, the company said: “Given the importance of women in every aspect of our business, we don’t feel this is a good environment in which to advertise our products right now.”
CNN reached out to more than 20 companies and brands that have previously run ads during O’Reilly’s show, but Mercedes-Benz was the only one to confirm they are pulling their advertising from the show. Lexus said they would “monitor the situation” while Jenny Craig refused to “publicly comment on our advertising strategy” and the dog food brand Nutrish refused to comment “on anything related to our media buy.”
O’Reilly has denied all the claims.
UPDATE: On April 3, Claritin sponsored Bill O'Reilly's opening Talking Points Memo segment.