At least three Hispanic journalists have been shut out of GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump's campaign events, which Spanish-language media and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists have condemned.
Univision's Lourdes Del Río Prevented From Reporting At Trump Campaign Event In Florida
The Washington Post: Ban On Univision Is Trump's “Latest Move Against The Spanish-Language Network.” Donald Trump's campaign prevented Univision correspondent Lourdes Del Río and her crew from entering an October 23 campaign rally at a Trump-owned resort in Miami. As reported by The Washington Post:
Univision correspondent Lourdes Del Rio told The Washington Post that after she and her crew were unsuccessful in their attempt to sign up for media credentials, they decided to show up anyway at the event, which is being held at the Trump National Doral Miami, a luxury resort.
When they arrived Friday afternoon and identified themselves, they were told by a police officer that they were not allowed in, according to Del Rio.
“I said, 'Why?'” explained Del Rio in an interview. She said the officer responded, “He said you're not allowed to be here.”
“He” meant Trump, she said.
Del Rio said a total of six people -- three from the network and three from its local station -- were prevented from entering.
When asked about Del Rio's account, Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks responded: “Mr. Trump is suing Univision for $500 million and until that is resolved it is a conflict of interest.” [The Washington Post, 10/23/15]
Trump Previously Shut Down Two Of The Most Well-Respected Hispanic Journalists During Press Conferences
Donald Trump Had Jorge Ramos Removed From Press Conference By Security. At an August 25 campaign event in Dubuque, Iowa, Trump had Univision and Fusion anchor Jorge Ramos forcibly removed from a pre-speech press conference after Ramos asked Trump about his plan to deport undocumented immigrants. The Washington Post reported:
“Mr. Trump, I have a question,” said Jorge Ramos, the top news anchor at Univision and one of the country's most recognizable Mexican-Americans, as he stood up in the front row of journalists.
“Excuse me,” the Republican presidential front-runner told Ramos. “Sit down. You weren't called. Sit down.”
Ramos, holding a piece of paper, calmly tried to ask Trump about his plan to combat illegal immigration. “I'm a reporter, an immigrant, a senior citizen,” he said. “I have the right to ask a question.”
Trump interrupted him. “Go back to Univision,” he said. Then the billionaire businessman motioned to one of his bodyguards, who walked across the room and physically removed Ramos from the room.
But moments later, Ramos returned to his seat in the front row -- and Trump called on him. For five minutes, they tangled over immigration policy, an issue on which both men have passionately different views. It was one of the more compelling moments of the 2016 campaign. [The Washington Post, 8/25/15]
Trump To Prominent Hispanic Journalist José Díaz-Balart: “You're Finished!” During a July 23 press conference in Laredo, Texas, Trump refused to engage with MSNBC and Telemundo anchor José Díaz-Balart, telling him, “You're finished,” and declaring that Telemundo “should be ashamed” after Diaz-Balart asked him about his characterization of Mexican immigrants as rapists:
DONALD TRUMP: I don't think that people understand the danger that you're under and the talent that you have. But I understand it. So we're going to go back to New York. The press has been amazing and we really appreciate -- the turnout of press has been incredible. Because people realize the problem we have in this country with illegal immigration and it's going to be solved, it's going to be fixed. And this group will do such a job. If they are allowed to do their job there is no doubt in anybody's mind it'll be taken care of so --
TRUMP: By the way, such a great relationship with the Hispanics and very interestingly in Nevada for those that haven't heard, they just did a poll and I'm leading, not only am I leading by a lot in the poll but almost more important to me because I employ hundreds -- and actually I employ thousands of Hispanics, and over the years tens of thousands. But I'm leading in the poll by a landslide with the Hispanics which is a great honor to me. So, thank you.
JOSE DÍAZ-BALART: Mr. Trump, you know 53 thousand Hispanics turn 18-years of age in this country every month, born in the United States, of voting age. 54 million plus Hispanics many feel that what you said, you said that the people that cross the border are “rapists” and “murderers” --
TRUMP: No, no, no, we're talking about illegal immigration and everybody understands it and you know what? That's a typical case -- wait -- that's a typical case of the press with misinterpretation. They take half a sentence -- they take a half a sentence, by the way, they take a half a sentence, they take a quarter of a sentence and put it all together, it's a typical thing and you're with Telemundo, and Telemundo should be ashamed and I'l tell you something, what's really going to be fun? I'm right now suing Univision for 500 million dollars and I'm going to tell you, we're going to win a lot of money. So I want to just again --
DIAZ-BALART: I'm not finished --
TRUMP: No, no, you're finished! [Media Matters, 8/26/15]
National Association Of Hispanic Journalists, Spanish-Language Media Have Condemned Trump For Ejecting Hispanic Journalists From His Events
The National Association Of Hispanic Journalists “Condemned” Trump For Having Ramos Removed. In an August 26 statement released by the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ), the organization condemned Trump “for allowing Univision journalist Jorge Ramos to be ejected from a news conference for simply asking questions.” Read the statement below:
The National Association of Hispanic Journalists condemns presidential candidate Donald Trump for allowing Univision journalist Jorge Ramos to be ejected from a news conference for simply asking questions.
“Mr. Ramos was doing what journalists have done for decades - asking questions!,” said Mekahlo Medina, NAHJ President. “Ramos was simply trying to hold a candidate for president accountable for statements he made about a very important topic to the American people. Mr. Trump has avoided Mr. Ramos' attempts for an interview to reasonably discuss Mr. Trump's opinions and ideas about immigration and American children born to undocumented immigrants.”
Mr. Trump's recent attacks on FOX News anchor Megyn Kelly is also unacceptable and disturbing. NAHJ stands with journalists everywhere who are simply working to pursue the truth and hold people in power accountable for their statements and their actions.
NAHJ invites Mr. Trump to answer questions by Mr. Ramos & other Latino journalists at #EIJ15 national conference in Orlando on September 18th.
[Update: Ramos was allowed back into the news conference after several other reporters questioned Trump on why Ramos was ejected. Ramos was able to ask several questions after being allowed back into the news conference] [Media Matters, 8/26/15]
La Opinion: Trump's “Arrogance And Lack Of Respect Exceeds Itself Everyday.” On August 25, Spanish-language newspaper La Opinion criticized Trump's display of “arrogance” at the Iowa press conference where he threw out Jorge Ramos. The newspaper accused Trump of trying to “silence” the “respected Mexican-American journalist” :
Donald Trump's arrogance and lack of respect exceeds itself everyday. It seems impossible, but in the theater of the absurd constructed by the republican presidential candidate -- which seems to defy the rules of political protocol and better match a most vulgar reality TV script -- each move makes the previous one pale by comparison. [...] As if trying to affirm what type of banana republic administration he'd institute if somehow he were elected, in this latest episode of arrogance and hysterical authoritarianism Trump sought to silence, seat, and eject the respected Mexican reporter Jorge Ramos when the reporter intended to ask the business magnate various questions.
“Go back to Univision!” he contemptuously said without moving away from the podium, while Ramos was escorted by security from the event. [Translated from La Opinion, 8/25/15]
Univision President: Trump's Treatment Of Ramos Was “Beneath Contempt.” On August 26, Univision President Randy Falco issued a statement condemning Trump's treatment of Ramos in Iowa. Falco criticized Trump for demonstrating “complete disregard” for Ramos:
The recent treatment that Jorge Ramos received at Mr. Trump's press conference in Iowa is beneath contempt. As a Presidential candidate, Mr. Trump is going to get tough questions from the press and has to answer them. Jorge Ramos is one of the most professional, dedicated and respected journalists I have seen or worked with in my 40 years in media. He always asks hard questions of candidates and elected officials, regardless of party or issue. Mr. Trump demonstrated complete disregard for him and for the countless Hispanics whom Jorge seeks to represent through press questions that are at the heart of the First Amendment. I remain grateful for the first-rate journalistic work that Jorge and all of his news colleagues at Univision and Fusion do to bring all points of view to the 57 million Hispanics in this country. [Translation via Business Insider, 8/26/15]