Breitbart's Big Hollywood: Same old birtherism, comparisons of Obama to Hitler
Research ››› ››› ERIC HANANOKI
Recently, Fox News and other media outlets have given increased attention and influence to conservative web publisher Andrew Breitbart. One of his web outlets, BigHollywood.com, frequently accuses President Obama of failing to release a valid birth certificate and routinely compares Obama to Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Mao, Pol Pot, and Castro, despite Breitbart's claim that the site would "show another face to the conservative movement and the Republican Party."
Breitbart launches Big Hollywood promising "the opportunity to show another face to" conservatives and GOP
In a January 5 Washington Times column announcing his Big Hollywood blog, Breitbart wrote:
Big Hollywood also will offer politicians, think tank brains, pundits and sundry wonks the opportunity to show another face to the conservative movement and the Republican Party. No longer will "South Park" and Dennis Miller carry the load alone in pointing out the absurdities of the modern left.
I will be writing and recruiting like the madman that I am.
Hollywood may not be completely anti-American yet, but it is certainly no longer pro-American. And no one has put up a public fight to change that.
Breitbart's Big Hollywood: Birtherism rampant
Contributors to Breitbart's Big Hollywood website have frequently made or defended the claim that Obama has not released a valid birth certificate:
- On September 10, Burt Prelutsky criticized the "hypocrisy of liberals" in not expressing any "concern over Obama's refusal to offer up" his birth certificate:
Another thing about which all liberals agree is that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii. Recently, I even heard Bill O'Reilly insist that Obama's birth certificate is a non-issue and that nobody really cares about it. By this time, I have come to regard the Number One Name in Cable News as a big blowhard, so his observation, needless to say, did nothing to change my opinion. But the truth is, a lot of people care about the birth certificate and Obama's passport and what nationality he claimed to be on his college application. I know they do because they keep writing to me about these things. For my part, I hope Obama is an American citizen. I wouldn't want to witness the inevitable riots in the streets of this nation if there were a move to depose him. I would much prefer to see Blue Dog Democrats join with Republicans to stop Cap & Trade and Obamacare in their tracks, and then have conservatives elected in record numbers in 2010. Nothing I'd enjoy more than seeing Obama turned into a lame duck for the last two years of his term, and see people like Harry Reid, Arlen Specter, Chris Dodd and Henry Waxman, turned into private citizens. And the more private, the better.
The hypocrisy of liberals is apparent in the fact that not a single one has expressed any concern over Obama's refusal to offer up any of those documents or expressed the slightest alarm over the Constitution's being treated like so much toilet paper. On the other hand, imagine how the NY Times and all its hand maidens in the MSM would be carrying on if, instead of being a left-wing ideologue, The Man Without a Country were a Republican!
- On August 22, Chele Stanton claimed that the media are giving Obama a "free pass" on issues such as Obama saying "he was born in Hawaii -- Yet his own Grandmother says he was born in Kenya and she was there at his birth" and that Obama "[w]on't release his school records, medical records, or birth certificate -- no explanation." Stanton concluded: "Obama promised transparency, but all I've seen is secrecy. If there is nothing to hide... then why are those records still being hidden? Concerned Americans want to know and deserve to know... the truth."
- On August 11, Jeremy D. Boreing wrote a post headlined, "In Defense of the Birthers." Boreing claimed he is "not a Birther" but wrote that the treatment of birthers is "completely unfair" because they are raising "perfectly legitimate questions." Boreing added that Obama "plainly is not one of us":
For all of these reasons and many, many more, Barack Obama seems to be, if not un-American, then at least not-American. Which brings us back to citizenship. The question the Birthers are really trying to ask isn't 'is Barack Obama one of us.' He plainly is not one of us. The real question is 'why not?' The Birthers think the answer might be as simple as that he is not an actual citizen of this country. They think he must have been born somewhere else, like Kenya, to have the views and values he expresses. Others think that Mr. Obama was born here, but that perhaps his parents renounced his citizenship while he was living in Indonesia as a child, maybe to get him into certain schools or just because they thought at the time that they would live in Indonesia forever. Maybe that would explain how Mr. Obama paid from his Harvard education, through programs aimed at helping foreign nationals get American educations. Which might explain why none of his collegiate records or papers have ever been released. Which might further explain why there is just so much about his past that has been deliberately withheld from the public, or colorfully rewritten in his artificially sweetened autobiographies. I don't happen to agree with the Birthers or their legal-citizenship cousins, but my question for the Birthers-haters is -- When did it become incumbent on citizens asking reasonable questions about their president's life, experiences, and even his eligibility to be president, to simply accept the that president at his word? Is it not reasonable to expect an elected official, especially one who has promised unprecedented transparency, to simply reveal the documents relevant to answering the biggest questions about his life? Are we supposed to take all of our government officials at face value now, or just this one? Why does the media, whose job it is to hold the government accountable deride the Birthers and not demand the president simply remove the cloak he has so effectively hidden himself behind? Agree with them or not, the Birthers are just trying to answer the perfectly legitimate questions created by the patent dishonesty about and obscuration of most every aspect of Barack Obama's life. Who can blame them?
- Carl Kozlowski wrote on July 30 that "the more I read about [Obama], the more questions I had. I also had always held respect for John McCain and his incredible sacrifices for the nation, so by the time fall rolled around, I was campaigning for the war hero and speaking out against the man who couldn't even produce a normal birth certificate to prove he belonged in the White House."
- Joseph C. Phillips wrote on April 13 that "[t]here are a vast number of Americans that are not even aware that there are ambiguities surrounding the president's birth certificate or that those questions remain unanswered. The issue is not one promulgated by the opposition party, nor is it one entertained by any mainstream conservative or Republican writers."
- Prelutsky claimed on April 15 that "our president went to Europe recently and, doing his rather uncanny impression of Michael Moore, apologized for American arrogance. Naturally, his own arrogant words were greeted with great applause from a pack of jackals who would have been under the boot of Hitler or Stalin, except for America's hatred of tyranny, its unrivaled display of courage and fortitude, and its sacrifice of treasure and blood. It is at such times that one can easily understand why the question about Obama's citizenship continues to plague so many people."
Breitbart wrote in an August 3 Washington Times column: "My long-held fear is that Mr. Obama is hiding something about his education. ... While I have no desire to see Mr. Obama's birth certificate, I do want to see his college transcripts. My suspicion, one could even call it a conspiracy theory, is that Mr. Obama committed himself to a radical curriculum, aligned himself with the far-left professoriate, and sought to keep this biographical information from his political enemies, especially then-rival Hillary Rodham Clinton, for fear that they would paint the former community organizer and follower of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright as something other than an advocate of racial reconciliation."
Breitbart's Big Hollywood: Obama routinely compared to Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Mao, Pol Pot, and Castro
Contributors to Big Hollywood have frequently compared Obama to Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Mao, Pol Pot, and Castro:
- Leigh Scott wrote of the school kids "SHOCK VIDEO" on September 25: "Again, I must reiterate that if the left wants to discredit charges of Socialism, Communism, Nazism and Fascism; they should really think about not emulating Fascist, Communist, Socialist and Nazi regimes. As a child I remember films of kids my age in China, all dressed in creepy uniforms with red ties, pledging allegiance to photos of Chairman Mao."
- On September 23, Alvaro Alvillar wrote of the controversy over an August 10 conference call involving the National Endowment for the Arts: "When did artists in this country decide it was a good idea to take marching orders from the government? Did I just wake up in some third-world country from a long sleep or am I having a nightmare where I go back in time to Mao's China, Stalin's Russian or Hitler's Germany? No such luck -- this is actually happening here and now and some of you artists are too stupid to figure out you're being had. Wake the $%@# up! Always question the powers that be! The only "change" that has taken place are the faces in high places. Politicians have an agenda-first, last and always -- but make no mistake -- these guys are worse, much worse!"
- Scott asked on September 9, "Why should a lesbian like Rachel Maddow feel comfortable to share her sexual preferences with those around her (who coincidentally, could care less) but doesn't feel it appropriate to share her love of Chairman Mao and his policies?" Scott added:
In the 1930s, Fascism and Communism were all the rage in Europe. Democrats then, like the Democrats of today, were fascinated by Europe. They were convinced that there is some inherent wisdom lost upon the "colonists" and that we bumpkins should look to Europe for the answers. You can see this today as we march towards socialized medicine and embrace the climate change tomfoolery. Both are all the rage across the pond.
So, the Democrats of the 30s, the party of F.D.R,. did their best to emulate the enlightened leaders of Spain, Italy and Germany and started putting a little dash of Fascism and a pinch of Communism into the American melting pot.
Stir for seventy or so years and then serve yourself a heaping bowl of Obama!
- On September 1, "Mr. Wrestling IV" -- a pseudonym for an "an actor in Hollywood" -- compared Democratic leaders on health care to "Lenin, Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Castro, Idi Amin, Hussein, Guevara, and all the countless murderous dictators and thugs throughout history who have held onto power by murdering inconvenient people" and stated that they "have made the same argument: the murdered were expendable, unimportant, and the greater good was served":
But then I realized that this mindset is not from an alternate universe. It is from ours, and we have seen it before. We have seen it in godless countries like the USSR, and Cambodia, and the PRC, and in Nazi Germany. We have have [sic] seen it everywhere that individual human lives have been deemed expendable, and that all decisions must be made based on how they affect the State.
If one does not believe in a divine aspect to each human life, then any particular individual's life is expendable if it serves the "greater good." Furthermore, if we are not creations of God, then the greater good is determined by whatever political policies one happens to support. In other words, if there is no sacrosanct belief that an individual human life is a gift from a Creator, then any inconvenient life is expendable as long as it serves the current political will.
Lenin, Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Castro, Idi Amin, Hussein, Guevara, and all the countless murderous dictators and thugs throughout history who have held onto power by murdering inconvenient people have made the same argument: the murdered were expendable, unimportant, and the greater good was served.
Is there now any wonder why most Americans do not want Statists like the deceased Sen. Edward Kennedy and his apologists and supporters in charge of our most vital commodity, our health care? If an individual human life is evaluated by its worth or cost to the State rather than by accepting its part in a plan far beyond our earthly understanding, then all of us are negotiable and, ultimately, expendable. And to their credit, it is logically consistent: if we are detrimental or costly to the State, and there is no divine reason to respect us, then we should be killed or mercifully given a cheaper pain pill if it serves the greater good.
- Stanton wrote on August 22 that "now the White House is asking people to 'snitch' on those that oppose Obama's health care plan by notifying firstname.lastname@example.org. Is this Nazi Germany?!! Don't we still have freedom of speech?!! When did our representatives stop working FOR us and start appeasing this man and his obvious agenda of government control? The bills that get passed without even being read... it's unlawful, unpatriotic, and frankly, outrageous!"
- Victoria Jackson claimed on August 18 that Obama and Hitler "have so many similar qualities":
As I walk into the gathering crowd, I notice that all the signs are polite, intelligent. No swastikas! Well, there was one poster of Obama with a Hitler mustache that was quickly taken down, but that poster seems appropriate since the two have so many similar qualities; the most recent being Obama purposefully stirring up racial conflict with the Gates-Crowley affair. Hitler did that...stirred up racial conflict. Obama's current attitude toward Israel is in question. Hitler did not support Jews. Obama is forming a volunteer/mandatory Youth Army. Hitler did that. Obama is trying to have government control everything, the media, cars, banks, houses, health. Hitler did that. Obama appointed 44 people (czars) that we didn't get to vote for. Hitler did that. Obama started a Snitch Program. Hitler did that. Obama wants the government to control who dies and when they die. Hitler did that. So did Stalin, Lenin and Castro.
- On July 7, Jackson claimed that "Obama legally kills babies and now he can legally kill Grandmas! Hitler did this. He killed the weak, the sick, the old, and babies and races/religions he didn't like":
Obama legally kills babies and now he can legally kill Grandmas!
Hitler did this. He killed the weak, the sick, the old, and babies and races/religions he didn't like. Hitler also controlled the media. (Where's the public debate between scientists on "Climate Change/Global Warming?") Hitler had the VW bug invented as the state car. What will O's nationalized car be? So... kill off the weak. That's the plan. Tax the workers to death. Erase the middle class. Sounds like the evil governments we studied in high school long ago. The evil governments were : kings, oligarchies, facist, socialist, and communist. Now it's called the Obama Administration. Sounds like candy or a rock band.
- On July 3, Jackson compared Obama to Soviet Communists, writing:
It's probably a compliment to the President since he likes to quote his Marxist professors, and by his own words and actions is trying his very best to "change" our country from Capitalist to Communist.
At my first protest, the Tea Party at Santa Monica Pier, I read from Webster's Dictionary the definition of Capitalism, Socialism and Communism, because I had begun to realize that Americans don't know what the words mean. Capitalism means freedom, the people control production. Socialism is the link between Capitalism and Communism. Communism is when the state controls everything; you know, like autos, banks, medicine, health insurance, taxes, television. (You know, like what Obama is doing.) No freedom. And soon...Poor, dirty, gray streets. Poor, dirty, gray faces.
- Joseph Lindsey wrote on April 20 that Obama's "machine is pushing Obama porn. ... As a grown up I was okay with the Obama porn smeared all over the adult sections, but, when I reached the far corner of the store, next to the knee-high chairs and stuffed animals I almost lost it. There I found a whole wall of Obama porn for kids, featuring hardcore, hard covered, cartooned Barack Obama porn begging children to partake. Not since Chairman Mao have children been so assaulted by the likes of such pornographic political propaganda."
- On March 22, Veronica DiPippo wrote under a poster of Mao, "Hope & Change circa 1940's China" and compared posters of Stalin and Obama. She also wrote of two Obama supporters who "entered their fully loaded Prius complete with scary, propagandic, Obama bumper sticker circa Leninist Russia."
Beck relies heavily on Drudge protégé Breitbart in recent attacks on NEA, Jones, and ACORN
Beck describes Breitbart as one of "the great journalists of our time." In recent weeks, Fox News' Glenn Beck has been credited with precipitating the resignation of White House "green jobs" adviser Van Jones, the reassignment of NEA communications director Yosi Sergant, and the amplification of anti-ACORN videos produced by a conservative filmmaker. In all three instances, Beck has credited the "instrumental" work of Breitbart, whom Beck has called one of "the great journalists of our time."