FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Jess Levin (202) 772-8162
Media Matters releases THIRD internal email from Fox News
Washington, DC -- Today, Media Matters for America released the third in a series of leaked internal emails from Fox News' Washington managing editor Bill Sammon. The latest email, combined with internal show notes and Sammon's televised appearances, show him using his position at the network -- as Washington deputy managing editor at the time -- to engage in a campaign to link then-Sen. Barack Obama to "Marxists" and "socialism." Sammon's email came just one week before Election Day 2008.
"Bill Sammon's October email reads like a piece of opposition research from the McCain campaign," said Ari Rabin-Havt, Executive Vice President at Media Matters for America. "The network clearly embraced this brand of 'journalism.' Sammon was promoted to Washington managing editor a mere four months later."
Rabin-Havt added: "Sammon doesn't run a newsroom, but rather the cable news arm of the Republican Party. Time and time again, Fox has shown an eagerness to cast truth aside in order to smear progressives and advance the GOP's party line."
On October 27, 2008, Sammon sent an email to colleagues highlighting what he described as "Obama's references to socialism, liberalism, Marxism and Marxists" in his 1995 autobiography Dreams From My Father. His email came after the Drudge Report posted audio of a 2001 radio interview with Obama. Fox News and conservative commentators distorted the interview, with some falsely claiming that Obama said it was a "tragedy" that the Supreme Court had not pursued "redistribution of wealth." The email reads:
From: Sammon, Bill
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 1:02 PM
To: 069 -Politics; 169 -SPECIAL REPORT; 030 -Root (FoxNews.Com)
Subject: fyi: Obama's references to socialism, liberalism, Marxism and Marxists in his autobiography, "Dreams from My Father." Plus a couple of his many self-described "racial obsessions"...
* "To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists." (Obama writing about his time at Occidental College in "Dreams.")
* After his sophomore year, Obama transferred to Columbia University. He lived on Manhattan's Upper East Side, venturing to the East Village for "thesocialist conferences I sometimes attended at Cooper Union," he recalled, adding: "Much of what I absorbed from the sixties was filtered through my mother, who to the end of her life would proudly proclaim herself an unreconstructed liberal."
* After graduating from Columbia in 1983, Obama spent a year working for a consulting firm and then went to work for "a Ralph Nader offshoot" in Harlem. "In search of some inspiration, I went to hear Kwame Toure, formerly Stokely Carmichael of SNCC and Black Panther fame, speak at Columbia. At the entrance to the auditorium, two women, one black, one Asian, were selling Marxist literature."
During this period, according to Obama, he began a serious romantic relationship.
* "There was a woman in New York that I loved. She was white," Obama wrote in "Dreams." "We saw each other for almost a year. On the weekends, mostly. Sometimes in her apartment, sometimes in mine. You know how you can fall into your own private world? Just two people, hidden and warm. Your own language. Your own customs." But Obama said their relationship was doomed by the racial difference. "I pushed her away," he recalled."The emotion between the races could never be pure; even love was tarnished by the desire to find in the other some element that was missing from ourselves. Whether we sought out our demons or salvation, the other race would always remain just that: menacing, alien, and apart."
* In June 1985, Obama was interviewed in New York by Marty Kaufman, a community organizer from Chicago. Obama recalled: "There was something about him that made me wary. A little too sure of himself, maybe. And white."
Sammon's email served as the basis for segments with him on Live Desk and Fox & Friends. FoxNews.com also posted a piece by Sammon about Obama's "affinity to Marxists."
From: Cunningham, Jennifer
To: 044 -Web Show Producers; 064 -Desk Assignment; 069 -Politics; 081- Radio; 085 - DC Booking; 100 -Media Relations; 162 -Promos; Brown, David; Glick, Alexis; Magee, Kevin; Moody, John; Scott, Suzanne; Shine, Bill; Tammero, Michael; Wallace, Jay
Sent: Mon Oct 27 18:17:41 2008
Subject: FOX & FRIENDS GUESTS FOR TUESDAY OCTOBER. 28 - EXACTLY 1 WEEK BEFORE ELECTION DAY
FOX & FRIENDS GUESTS FOR TUESDAY OCTOBER. 28 - EXACTLY 1 WEEK BEFORE ELECTION DAY
5:59 (A-BLOCK) COLD OPEN // QUICK TEASE
// News HEADLINES // TALKING POINTS
WX BUMP OUT TO TEASE
6:15 (B-BLOCK) - 2 STORIES
AMANDA CARPENTER - DEMS PLAYBOOK SHOWS DIRTY TACTICS ((DC BUREAU))
6:22 (C-BLOCK) - 2 STORIES ((ANCHOR))
& BILL SAMMON - FYI: OBAMA'S REFERENCES TO SOCIALISM, LIBERALISM, MARXISM AND MARXISTS IN HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY, "DREAMS FROM MY FATHER." PLUS A COUPLE OF HIS MANY SELF-DESCRIBED "RACIAL OBSESSIONS"... (( FOX DC ))
>> BDAY IN TEASE
This latest email from Sammon is the third in a series of leaked internal emails from Fox News. In releasing the first email, Media Matters also announced the launch of firstname.lastname@example.org, an email address where "conscientious Fox News employees can anonymously send examples of their employer's complete disregard for journalism."
Read more: FOXLEAKS: Bill Sammon's October Surprise