In November 1998, following midterm losses and a Republican revolt, Newt Gingrich announced he would step down as House speaker and resign from Congress. Thirteen years after his downfall, Gingrich is now a contender for the Republican nomination for president.
During his years away from office and campaigning, Gingrich stayed in the public spotlight as a frequent contributor and occasional host on Fox News. Between October 1999, when he was hired, and March 2, 2011, when his contract was suspended, Gingrich appeared on Fox News over 600 times.
As a Fox News commentator, Gingrich regularly made incendiary and false remarks that helped ingratiate himself to the conservative base. But Gingrich's time at Fox News went beyond conservative punditry and attacks against progressives.
Fox News was a powerful ally when it came to boosting Gingrich's political and business groups. As The Atlanta Journal Constitution noted, Gingrich "built a network of for-profit businesses and nonprofit organizations that seamlessly promote his vision of American government and politics. ... Well before Gingrich announced his candidacy, those groups were providing him with money and public exposure."
Fox News heavily promoted American Solutions for Winning the Future, which served as Gingrich's non-profit political organization before he ran for president. Fox News boosted the work and profile of the Center for Health Transformation, Gingrich's for-profit health care consulting company, and The Americano, Gingrich's Hispanic outreach organization. Fox News also served as a constant and reliable promotional vehicle for Gingrich Productions, a for-profit conservative multimedia company run by Newt and wife Callista.
During his employment, Gingrich made over 600 appearances on Fox News, according to a search of the Nexis database. Gingrich also briefly served as a guest host for The O'Reilly Factor and Hannity & Colmes; and hosted several Fox News specials. While a complete list of his specials do not appear to be available online or in Nexis, they include:
- "Dangerous Places" (2001)
- "Bioterror: Ready or Not" (2003)
- "Oil: America Over a Barrel" (2004)
- "Pope John Paul II: Pope of the People" (2005)
- "American Gangs -- Ties to Terror?" (2005)
- "The Bird Flu: Fact and Fiction" (2006)
- "Why Does College Cost So Much?" (2006)
- "One Nation Under God: Religion and History in Washington, D.C." (2007)
American Solutions for Winning the Future was officially launched by Gingrich on September 27, 2007. As The New York Times noted, the non-profit organization was formed "to finance and promote his speaking and traveling schedule" and "Gingrich used the group as a way to promote his ideas of government reform." After he became a presidential candidate, Gingrich left the group and it eventually went bankrupt and shut down.
Fox News played a significant role in promoting the group and its initiatives. In one case, Gingrich, with Fox News' help, promoted a pro-drilling petition in fifteen separate appearances. Fox News also regularly allowed Gingrich to advocate for the interests of energy companies even though American Solutions collected significant amounts of contributions from energy companies.
Fox Helped Gingrich With Pre-Launch Publicity. American Solutions officially launched on September 27, 2007, with nationwide workshops. Gingrich and Fox News repeatedly promoted the group and the workshops in the run-up to the event. For instance:
- January 31, 2007. Gingrich: "On September 27, which is the anniversary of the Contract with America, we're going to do a workshop on trying to transform government in America at all levels. And we're going to aim that workshop at all 511,000 positions." [Hannity & Colmes, via Nexis]
- February 15, 2007. Gingrich: "We have a project called American Solutions. And we are going to do a training workshop nationwide on September 27, which is the anniversary of the Contract With America. ... I think that we are going to generate, at American Solutions, a really powerful series of answers on energy, on the environment, on competing economically with China." [Your World with Neil Cavuto, via Nexis]
- March 13, 2007. Gingrich: "Well, you know, as I've said before, we're going to do an American Solutions workshop on September the 27th, which is the anniversary of the contract, available to everybody in the country. We're going to share all of our ideas with everybody in both parties." [Hannity & Colmes, via Nexis]
- May 3, 2007. Gingrich: "Well, I've told you, and I've told everybody that American Solutions is going to have a nationwide workshop on September 27th on the Internet, available to everybody in the country, in both Democrat, Republican, independent, and we're going to try to explain how you could change and dramatically improve government at every level." [Hannity & Colmes, via Nexis]
Fox News hosts also jumped at the chance to promote Gingrich's workshop. For instance:
- Bill O'Reilly: "AmericanSolutions.com, go there. All the information is there. We want people to get involved, because the speaker is right. We need changes in this country." [The O'Reilly Factor, 9/19/07, via Nexis]
- Greta Van Susteren: "The web cast, do you have an address for us, or do we have to put it on gretawire.com or someplace--where can I put this for somebody?" Gingrich replied: "We would love for you to have it on gretawire.com. The address is AmericanSolutions.com. Anybody who goes to Americansolutions.com can see how they personally can have this entire web cast. Over 2,000 sites have signed up to actually be workshops around the country. And then it is available, as I said, on television and on your home computer." [On the Record with Greta Van Susteren, 9/21/07, via Nexis]
- Chris Wallace: "Speaking of solutions, you're going to be hosting a conference this week called American Solutions with workshops across the country. Give us a sense briefly of how big it will be and how it will work." [Fox News Sunday, 9/23/07, via Nexis]
In some cases, on-screen text directed viewers to Gingrich's AmericanSolutions.com website "for more information":
From Fox & Friends, August 7, 2007:
From On the Record, September 21, 2007:
On September 27, 2007, Gingrich appeared on Hannity & Colmes, where he promoted his event that day, American Solutions' website, and said he's "prepared to create the second annual workshop in September of 2008."
Fox Helped Promote American Solutions Initiatives. Following his American Solutions launch, Gingrich continued to rely on Fox News to promote projects from his political group. Here are a few examples:
- Survey Research. During the November 12, 2007, edition of Hannity & Colmes (via Nexis), Gingrich plugged his organization's research and directed people to the American Solutions website: "I think if you go to americansolutions.com -- and look at research, you will see six surveys we released last Wednesday that have issue after issue after issue that are 70, 80, and 90 percent issues, and I think we're far better off to draw a choice between the values of the overwhelming majority. Let me give you a different one, Alan. Eighty nine percent of the country does not believe you should strip the American worker of the right to have a secret ballot vote before they're forced to join a union."
- 2009 "Jobs Summit." Fox News devoted significant coverage to Gingrich's "Real Jobs Summit" in December 2009. In addition to interviewing Gingrich, Fox News dispatched correspondent Jonathan Serrie to cover Gingrich for Fox's straight news programs.
- 2010 "Jobs Tour." The October 21, 2010, edition of Happening Now -- one of Fox News' purportedly straight news programs -- heavily promoted Gingrich's "jobs tour." Anchor Jon Scott began the segment by stating, "One of the big issues this election season, of course, is unemployment. Right now a major jobs tour is kicking off. It's called American Solutions Jobs Here, Jobs Now. It starts in Arizona, and then goes all across the country." Fox News promoted the URL of the tour on-screen, while Gingrich promoted the tour and his website.
- NoMoreObamacare.com. During the January 13, 2011, edition of On the Record, Van Susteren and Gingrich promoted the American Solutions website NoMoreObamacare.com.
Pro-Drilling Petition. A further example of how Fox News helped Gingrich with an American Solutions campaign can be found with Gingrich's "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less" petition campaign, which urged "Congress to immediately start drilling for oil domestically to lower gas prices." The factually-challenged petition campaign was promoted during fifteen separate Gingrich appearances on Fox News. Gingrich himself told Sean Hannity, "you have been helping us" and "you, of course, have been a very key part of this on both radio and television." Here's a timeline of Fox News and Gingrich's promotions:
- May 28, 2008. When told by Sean Hannity that he got an American Solutions bumper sticker saying, "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less," Gingrich told viewers there's "a petition drive at American Solutions." During the segment, Hannity held up Gingrich's bumper sticker.
- June 9, 2008. Gingrich told Greta Van Susteren: "We have a project at American Solutions called Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less. It's a petition. And in two-and- a-half weeks, we've gotten over 450,000 signers from all over the country, including thousands of Democrats, some self-identified Democrats who signed this thing."
- June 12, 2008. Gingrich told Bill O'Reilly: "We have a Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less petition drive at American Solutions that's already gotten 650,000 signatures, including a lot of Democrats."
- June 15, 2008. Gingrich told Hannity, "As you know, you have been helping us so much on our 'Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less' campaign that has got over 800 thousand signatures now." [via Nexis]
- June 18, 2008. Hannity asked Gingrich, "We've been doing this on the radio. We've been doing it here on 'Hannity & Colmes.' American Solutions. Your bumper sticker, drill here, drill now, save money. Did you hit a million yet?" Gingrich replied: "We're at 930,000 this evening. Americans who signed up at AmericanSolutions.com, for Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less. And I think we will hit 1 million either tomorrow or the day after. And you, of course, have been a very key part of this on both radio and television." Hannity responded, "I -- the Republican Party needs to embrace this." [via Nexis]
- June 19, 2008. Gingrich told Fox & Friends that American Solutions will have its 1,000,000th signer to his petition.
- June 26, 2008. Hannity told Gingrich, "I've got to give you credit, you started with American Solutions, 'Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less.' We were on this now way before it became as big an issue as it is now." Gingrich later told Hannity, "I would just say, to anybody who doesn't want $7 a gallon gasoline, go to American Solutions and sign our petition for Drill Here, Drill Now, and Pay Less ... because we're over a million signatures, and we need to get the Congress to understand this is real." [via Nexis]
- July 3, 2008. Your World, with guest host Nicole Petallides, built a segment off of the petition. Petallides began by stating, "We're going over to Newt Gingrich, urging all Americans today to make this Fourth of July day the drill-nothing Congress will not forget. He is declaring tomorrow energy independence day and is urging anyone who wants to see lower prices at the pump to sign his online petition, forcing lawmakers to drill now." [via Nexis]
- July 14, 2008. On America's Election Headquarters, Gingrich told host Heather Nauert: "When American families are paying $4 and $5 a gallon, the time has come to, as our petition says, 'Drill Here, Drill Now, and Pay Less.' We have over a 1,300,000 signers at AmericanSolutions.com of that petition." [via Nexis]
- July 16, 2008. Gingrich promoted his petition on Hannity, stating that "over 1,350,000 people have now signed our petition to drill here, drill now, and pay less at American Solutions." [via Nexis]
- July 25, 2008. Gingrich told Your World guest host Connell McShane, "At AmericanSolutions.com, we have a petition called drill here, drill now, save money -- or pay less, rather -- drill here, drill now, pay less. And that petition has over 1,300,000 signers." [via Nexis]
- July 31, 2008. Gingrich said on Hannity & Colmes, "you know, we have petition drive called Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less at America Solutions." Later, Hannity told Gingrich, "a lot of my radio listeners and viewers of Hannity & Colmes have signed up to Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay less." [via Nexis]
- August 6, 2008. Gingrich promoted his petition on Fox & Friends, stating he has more than 1,400,000 signers.
- August 13, 2008. Gingrich said on Hannity & Colmes: "I've seen Democrats around the country coming out saying now they're for drilling. So maybe what we're doing at American Solutions with Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less, with that petition that has almost 1.5 million signatures. Maybe it's having an effect, Alan. And I think that's good for the country." [via Nexis]
- August 17, 2008. After Hannity brought up Gingrich's petition, Gingrich replied: "What I am intrigued with is with the people who signed our petition at the American Solutions. You begin to see real pressure on Democrats." [via Nexis]
Fox Allowed Gingrich To Push Interests Of Donors. American Solutions raised significant amounts of money from energy interests. Still, Gingrich was allowed to repeatedly appear on Fox News to push his pro-drilling petition and discuss issues related to energy companies.
Gingrich founded the Center for Health Transformation (CHT) in 2003 and left the group last year to run for president. The Washington Post reported that the group "collected at least $37 million over the past eight years from major health-care companies and industry groups, offering special access to the former House speaker and other perks, according to records and interviews." The Post reported that CHT "attracted a long list of global health-care firms and interest groups, which paid $5,000 to $200,000 a year, based on their size, to be members."
Fox News frequently helped Gingrich boost the work and profile of the Center for Health Transformation. On Fox News, CHT's website address, initiatives, and research were frequently touted. In one instance, Fox News hosted Gingrich and the CEO of a health care company which paid CHT to be a member. However, Fox News did not disclose the financial connection.
Fox Interviewed Gingrich And CHT Member Without Disclosure. On March 13, 2007, Hannity & Colmes spent two segments of its program -- roughly thirteen minutes of airtime -- with Gingrich and SHPS CEO Rishabh Mehrotra to promote a report they authored on Medicaid. While Gingrich spoke, Fox News ran text directing viewers to SHPS' website to read the report.
Near the end of the interview, co-host Sean Hannity asked Gingrich, "Hey, can people get a hold of this book? ... How can they get a copy?" Gingrich replied: "They just go to HealthTransformation.net. You can actually download it for free. You can also go to the SHPS Web site and download it, because we just want to make this available to everybody who's trying to solve what is literally the biggest single cost problem for state governments in America."
At no point did Fox News disclose the financial relationship between SHPS and Gingrich. Material posted on the CHT website identifies SHPS as being a "CHT member," which requires an annual membership fee. SHPS executives have also participated in CHT events and meetings. Requests for comment to SHPS were not returned, and CHT states on its website that "we are not releasing a list of our clients and members or information specific to any individual client or member."
Fox News Helped Promote CHT And Its Initiatives. For instance:
- July 9, 2009. Gingrich promoted a petition drive by CHT on Your World. Gingrich told guest host Stuart Varney: "At the Center for Health Transformation, we`re launching a petition drive to demand that, if there's a public option, every member of the House and Senate must belong to it. That can be their only health plan. We think, if they want to impose on the country that kind of disastrous plan, they ought to take the medicine first."
- July 21, 2009. Gingrich was asked by Greta Van Susteren for his solution to health care. Gingrich responded by first promoting CHT and giving shout-outs to his staff:
GINGRICH: Let me just say, at American Solutions we are doing tax cuts for small business and for economic growth. I also founded the Center for Health Transformation, and Nancy Desmond is the president of it, Dave Merritt is the public policy vice president. Three or four quick things. Jim Frogue at the Center for Health Transformation just published a book last Friday which is available online called "Stop Paying the Crooks."
- August 13, 2009. Discussing the health care debate during The O'Reilly Factor, Gingrich said (via Nexis): "At the Center for Health Transformation, we have dozens of ideas people can see at HealthTransformation.net. I think it's very possible to create a powerful alternative." While Gingrich spoke, Fox News directed viewers to HealthTransformation.net to read the plan:
- January 6, 2010. Appearing on Hannity, Gingrich said: "At HealthTransformation.net, we're just posting a YouTube video to launch a letter. We're asking people to come to HealthTransformation.net and sign asking the president to keep his word and to allow [C-SPAN CEO] Brian Lamb and C-SPAN to cover the entire [health care] negotiation as they've offered to."
- January 13, 2010. During On the Record, Gingrich similarly said: "We have at the Center for Health Transformation -- you can go to Healthtransformation.net -- we have a letter to the president that several thousand people have now signed, asking the president to keep his commitment [to have the health care negotiations in public]." [via Nexis]
- February 10, 2010. During On the Record, Gingrich said: "I had a column this morning from the Center for Health Transformation that John Goodman and I wrote outlining 10 specific good ideas." Gingrich later promoted a book from "the Center for Health Transformation, called 'Stop Paying the Crooks,' which Jim Frogue edited."
- February 24, 2010. During Hannity, Gingrich said: "You know, Bill McIntyre of Public Opinion Strategies collaborated with us at the Center for Health Transformation. We just released a poll this afternoon that -- McIntyre is a very well known national pollster and in Public Opinion Strategy poll, among those who feel strongly by 2-1, they want to drop the current comprehensive bill. They think it's a bad idea." [via Nexis]
- January 13, 2011. During On the Record, Gingrich said: "The Center for Health Transformation going to release tomorrow its third chart on Obamacare. This is a 50 square foot chart that lists the 1,969 grant of authority the Secretary of Health and Human Services in Obamacare. Thing about that, 1,969 grants of power over your health care to a single bureaucrat in Washington, D.C. I think combined with our earlier charts of 159 new offices under Obamacare and a 50 square foot chart of all the deadlines under Obamacare, those three charts are devastating examples of why we should repeal Obamacare." [via Nexis]
Fox Allowed Gingrich To Push Interests Of Donors. Gingrich and CHT raised large amounts of money from the health care industry. Still, Gingrich was allowed to repeatedly appear on Fox News to discuss health care legislation and issues.
Fox News has served as a constant and reliable promotional vehicle for Gingrich Productions, a for-profit multimedia company run by Newt and wife Callista. The company has been enormously profitable for Gingrich, who was paid more than $2.4 million last year and has shares in the company valued at between $500,000 and $1 million. Gingrich Productions' products espouse a conservative message for activists and closely mirror themes now used by Gingrich on his presidential campaign.
As of this report's posting, Gingrich Productions lists seven DVDs produced by Gingrich, six of which were produced while Gingrich was an active Fox News employee (Gingrich's latest DVD, A City Upon A Hill, premiered in April -- after Gingrich was suspended from Fox News). The DVDs cover topics such as criticizing Obama's national security policy; a celebration of Ronald Reagan; "Rediscovering God In America"; pro-drilling; and Pope John Paul II.
Fox News helped promote the six DVDs that Gingrich produced while at Fox News. Fox hosts praised the DVDs, diligently informed viewers where to buy them and sometimes ran clips and built segments around them. For instance:
We Have The Power
- Sean Hannity: "Former speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich. By the way, check out his brand-new DVD, 'We Have the Power.' And by the way, you have the power tomorrow. It's hosted by Newt and his wife, Callista, available at Newt.org." [Hannity & Colmes, 11/3/08, via Nexis]
- Bill O'Reilly: "The Speaker joins us now from Washington. And you can pick up his DVD, 'We Have the Power' at Newt.org." [The O'Reilly Factor, 11/14/08, via Nexis]
- Greta Van Susteren: "Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich joins us live here in Washington. He's the author of The New York Times best-seller 'Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less.' The Speaker also released a DVD, 'We Have the Power,' and you can get both at Newt.org." [On the Record, 1/7/09, via Nexis]
America At Risk
- Chris Wallace: "We want to note the speaker and his wife Callista host a new documentary called 'America at Risk: The War With No Name' which can be found at the Web site on the screen." [Fox News Sunday, 9/12/10, via Nexis]
- Greta Van Susteren: "Former speaker of the House Newt Gingrich joins us live. Speaker Gingrich and his wife, Callista, host a new documentary, 'America at Risk: The War With No Name.' It's available at Americaatrisk.com." [On the Record, 9/27/10, via Nexis]
- Gretchen Carlson: "He and his wife Callista are the hosts of a new documentary: 'America at Risk: The War with No Name,' which is available at www.Americaatrisk.com or you can link up to 'Fox and Friends' and we'll show you the way to that website." [Fox & Friends, 9/28/10, via Nexis]
- Bill O'Reilly: "You have a new DVD out 'Americans At Risk: War With No Name.' What's the headline on the DVD?" Gingrich replied: "Headline on the DVD is that there are real enemies, that they are radical Islamists that up to this point this administration won't tell us the truth about who they are. This week's warnings alone about the warnings about terrorism in Europe ought to be a reminder. We are at risk. This movie is designed to educate every American about what threatens us, which is why America At Risk: The War With No Name. I think is really a very important documentary." [The O'Reilly Factor, 10/5/10, via Nexis]
- Van Susteren: "Speaker Gingrich joins us live. He and his wife, Callista, host the new documentary 'America at Risk: The War With No Name.' It's available at Americaatrisk.com." [On the Record, 10/6/10, via Nexis]
- Sean Hannity: "That's former House speaker, a FOX News contributor, host of the documentary, along with his wife Callista, "America at Risk: The War With No Name," which is available at americaatrisk.com, Newt Gingrich is with us." [Hannity, 10/7/10, via Nexis]
- Bill Hemmer: "Newt and his wife Callista now the hosts of a new documentary, 'America at Risk: The War with No Name.' It's available at americaatrisk.com." [America's Newsroom, 11/4/10, via Nexis]
Rediscovering God in America
- Sean Hannity: "That was clip from the film 'Rediscovering God in America' based on a book by Newt Gingrich. Now the film explores the role that faith played in the development of our nation. By the way, DVDs are available at rediscoveringgodmovie.com. ... " [Hannity & Colmes, 11/12/07, via Nexis]
- John Gibson: "Mr. Speaker, I also want to talk to you about your movie, Rediscovering God in America, in which you and your wife take a walking tour of Washington, showing where the founders paid attention to God. Explain more about this movie. ... We have a little clip. Let's take a look at this clip from Rediscovering God in America." [The Big Story, 11/19/07, via Nexis]
- Neil Cavuto: "So, did the GOP just lose its last big tax cutter? Let us ask former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. His new movie, by the way, 'Rediscovering God in America,' being released on DVD. A lot of people need God on a day like today." [Your World with Neil Cavuto, 11/26/07, via Nexis]
- Greta Van Susteren: "Now, our next guests are in Atlanta for a huge event, the preview of their new film, 'Rediscovering God in America.' Former speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and his wife, a fellow cheesehead of mine, Callista, join us live." [On the Record, 3/14/08, via Nexis]
Rediscovering God in America II: Our Heritage
- Bill O'Reilly: "With us now, FOX News analyst and former Speaker of the House, the aforementioned Newt Gingrich, who hosts a new DVD with his wife called 'Rediscovering God in America II: Our Heritage.'" [The O'Reilly Factor, 9/22/09, via Nexis]
- Steve Doocy: "That was a clip from a new documentary called, Rediscovering God in America II, showing how religion shaped our country, something we don't hear much about these days. ... If people want to see this how do they get a hold of it?" [Fox & Friends, 9/23/09]
- Greta Van Susteren: "You know, Mr. Speaker, when I was watching this in preparation for this segment tonight, is it - I know that, you know, you're a history professor. You taught history. I saw this is not so much a religious piece but almost a historic documentary. ... Callista, how do you get this movie? How are you distributing it?" [On the Record, 9/29/09]
- Sean Hannity: "Now, many Americans have lost sight what a crucial role religion played in the founding and early history of the American republic. Now, a new DVD is calling attention to the history and to how it relates to some of the great moments and heroic figures in American history. It's called 'Rediscovering God in America 2: Our Heritage,' and it's narrated by Newt and Callista Gingrich. ... I'm reading about the new DVD -- and I haven't watched it yet. I'm going to watch this weekend. Thanks for the copy. It's just amazing how much we forget. ... It's a fascinating DVD. By the way, I put it on my Web site, but you have a Web site for it, too?" [Hannity, 10/9/09, via Nexis]
Ronald Reagan: Rendezvous with Destiny
- Sean Hannity: "That was a clip from the documentary 'Ronald Reagan: Rendezvous with Destiny.' And Newt and Callista Gingrich, hosts of the film, were also instrumental in the making of it. And they're here to talk all about it. ... how can people get a hold of this?" [Hannity, 1/30/09]
- Bill O'Reilly: "Newt Gingrich joins us now from Washington. His new DVD is called 'Ronald Reagan: Rendezvous with Destiny' available at Gingrichproductions.com. ... All right, gingrichproductions.com. You can get it there." [The O'Reilly Factor, 2/2/09, via Nexis]
- Greta Van Susteren: "'Ronald Reagan, a Rendezvous with Destiny.' That is the name of a brand new documentary produced by former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and his wife Callista. You can get the DVD at GingrichProductions.com. Earlier the speaker and Callista went 'On the Record' about their new film and the legacy of our 40th president." [On the Record, 2/5/09, via Nexis]
- Greta Van Susteren: "We continue now with former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, and he has a very, very, very special guest with him, his wife, Callista. They are in Georgia for the Atlanta premiere of their documentary, 'Ronald Reagan: Rendezvous With Destiny.' Callista, we can't show the viewers the video and have them listen to both of you speak about this documentary without telling them how they can see it. How can they see this documentary?" [On the Record, 3/27/09, via Nexis]
Nine Days that Changed the World
- Greta Van Susteren: "Where can someone get this movie, Callista? ... It's a great movie. It's fascinating, and it's also a piece of history. Thank you both." [On the Record, 4/12/10, via Nexis]
- Sean Hannity: "He is the co-host of the brand-new DVD 'Nine Days That Changed the World,' along with his wife, Callista, who is the president of Gingrich Productions. Newt and Callista are here to tell us much more about Gingrich Productions. ... it is a great DVD, 'Nine Days that Changed the World.' And it's on my Web site, by the way, Hannity.com. It's on your Web site, Newt.org." [Hannity, 4/23/10, via Nexis]
- Bill O'Reilly: "Joining us now from Washington, FOX News analyst Newt Gingrich. He and his wife Callista are hosting a new DVD documentary called 'Nine Days that Changed the World,' about Pope John Paul II. You can get it on GingrichProductions.com." [The O'Reilly Factor, 8/3/10, via Nexis]
A review of Nexis shows that Fox News similarly promoted the numerous books authored by Gingrich. In addition to discussing those books with Gingrich, Fox News hosts routinely directed viewers to where they could buy the book.
Gingrich co-founded The Americano website, which aims to reach conservative Hispanic voters. Sylvia F. Garcia, the Gingrich campaign's National Hispanic Inclusion Director, served as the editor in chief of the site.
During the January 13, 2011, edition of On the Record, Van Susteren asked Gingrich "how is your party going to get the Hispanic vote?" Gingrich replied by promoting The Americano:
GINGRICH: We developed a program call the Americano.com. Jeb Bush is hosting an event in Miami with former Secretary of Commerce Gutierrez. On values, on pocketbook issues, national security, on a wide range of issues there's a lot in common between Republicans and Hispanic-American businesses and Hispanic-American small business owners, Hispanic-American family values.
In December 2010, Gingrich hosted "The Americano's First Annual Hispanic Forum." Fox News helped Gingrich promote the event during the December 2, 2010, edition of Fox & Friends:
CARLSON: I want to make sure that we can talk about this because you're doing something important today. You're hosting the first annual Americano Forum and Gala in D.C. What is it?
GINGRICH: Well, the Americano.com is a Web site dedicated to bringing together conservative and moderate Hispanic-Americans and creating a dialogue about prosperity, about national security, about immigration, about reforming the government. And they're having their first annual conference here.
It's really about a huge conference. I'm amazed how much they've pulled together. Over 60 speakers. President Aznar of Spain is speaking this morning. The ambassador from Mexico is speaking. We're honoring President Uribe of Colombia tonight. We're also honoring Lincoln Diaz-Balart, the congressman from Miami.
The Miami Symphony is here to play tonight. And it's really a great opportunity to bring together conservative and moderate Hispanics to talk about the future of Hispanic-Americans. [via Nexis]
While Gingrich spoke, Fox News directed viewers to Gingrich's website for more information:
Fox News also promoted The Americano forum during the November 30, 2010, edition of On the Record, where Gingrich made a similar pitch.
Sean Hannity promoted the forum when he introduced Gingrich during his December 1, 2010, program. While Gingrich spoke, Fox News directed viewers to Gingrich's website.